About Me

Teacher and Parent. I am a Certified Irlen Screener and currently working as a teacher and Literacy Coach. I love reading and helping children learn to read is my passion in life. Please visit my Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/DyslexiaAndIrlenSyndrome

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pause Prompt Praise

When your child or student is trying to sound out an unfamiliar word, give them time to do so. It is hard to resist telling them the word straight away. I usually wait between 3-5 seconds, depending on how close their articulation is to actually reading the word accurately. Then I may suggest a prompt or clue. For example I might say " have a look at the picture". Lastly, praise their efforts even if they don't get the word. "I liked the way you tried to work out that word. Well done". Then next time, they will feel better about having a go to work out other tricky words.

No comments:

Post a Comment